- Take everything out of the cupboard so you can see what you have. Pick one cupboard and remove all the items.
- Decide what you can part with. Pare down your cupboard items to the ones that you actually use. Create “Keep”, “Donate”, and “Toss/Recycle” piles, so that you can dispose of items responsibly and beneficially.
- Clean the cupboard from top to bottom. Gather the cleaning supplies of your choice. Scrub every nook and cranny and wipe down the doors.
Once the cupboards are cleaned you will need to organize your items. Make sure they are wiped down before they are put away.
- Group like items together. Everything will be easier to locate.
- Decide which items you use daily. Store them in a large accessible cupboard. Put the items that you use most often on the shelves closest to the middle, for easy access. Items used less frequently can go on top or bottom shelves.
- Keep food and spices separate from other items. If you are using the cupboards for both food and other items, make sure there isn’t a danger of the food items spilling onto the non-food items.
There is a wealth of cupboard organizational tools — from magnetic spice jars to plastic bins — that will assist you in your cupboard organization process. Once you have everything reduced to the essential and often-used, you will have a better sense of what you will need going forward. The only real limit is your imagination.